Children’s Hospital was founded in 1890. In the 1940s, Children’s was designated as a “hub hospital,” serving children from throughout western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio and West Virginia. Now, there are more than 1 million outpatient visits annually to Children’s Hospital’s 315-bed Lawrenceville campus, its many neighborhood locations, and Children’s Community Pediatrics practices.
“Mr. Yuk” was introduced in the 1970s by the Pittsburgh Poison Center at Children’s Hospital as a poison warning symbol. The message conveyed through commercials and stickers evolved into an international household name.
In the 1980s, Children’s grew into the world’s largest pediatric transplant center. The Hillman Center for Pediatric Transplantation has performed more pediatric transplants than any other pediatric transplant center in the country. Survival rates consistently beat the national average and are among the world’s best.
Children’s cares for among the most complex pediatric cases and performs some of the most difficult and complicated pediatric surgeries in the U.S.
The John G. Rangos Sr. Research Center on the Lawrenceville campus is a 10-story, 300,000 square foot research facility.
The Heart Institute offers a complete array of services that span a patient’s lifetime, from the tiniest patients still in the womb through adults with congenital heart disease.
The Brain Care Institute sees more than 14,000 patients a year from around the world.
Patient families travel from all over the world to visit the Children’s Hospital Center for Rare Disease looking for hope and answers. The center offers cutting-edge therapies personalized to treat infants, children, adolescents and young adults who are diagnosed with a variety of rare disorders.
Children’s doctors provide care to children across the globe with new technology such as videoconferencing, two-way video and email. Children’s is among the first fully digital hospitals in the nation.